This document describes all the necessary information for the use of the G/L Import extension, created by Micro-Apps. With this app, you can map the columns of an Excel sheet to the general journal fields. By mapping these columns, the GL Import app makes the import of excel files into the general journal easier and flexible.
> Click to enlarge <
After the installation has been completed, the page Gen. Journal Import Wizard is available in Business Central. With this configuration wizard we set up the GL Import application step by step.
Once the installation is complete, the app needs to be set up. This can be done with the Gen. Journal Import Wizard This wizard contains all the necessary steps to completely set up the extension. The first step is to register yourself and to activate the trial or subscription. With the trial, you can use the app two weeks free of charge. After the trial period, you need to activate the subscription.
Make sure both fields are checked (like the example in the right picture.)
The last step contains assigning the ‘ABC.VariableGLImport’ permission set. For every user that uses the GL Import app and doesn’t have super rights, you need to set the permission.
Open the user overview page with the button, select the user and assign the “ABC.VariableGLImport” permission in the User Permission Sets tab. After this step you are ready to use the application.
In order to succesfully implement G/L Import the following steps must be completed:
1. In your Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central environment locate G/L Import on the menu. Click once, and choose for the option Import Mapping.
2. Select +New
3. A new screen will pop up, under the Code-row you need to select a blank cell and enter: Import; Under the Description-row you need to enter: Import GL entries
4. Locate the drop-down menu labeled Navigate, and click on Columns.
5. This allows for the following fields to be filled in:
I. Colum No. = Fill in column number from Excel sheet, column number 1 is the first column starting on the left hand side.II. Field No. = Choose the field that you want to importIII. Field name = Name of the field that has been chosenIV. Field caption = Name caption of the field that has been chosenV. Validate field = Validates the imported value for the field in general journalVI. Remove characters = Removes character in imported value when filled inVII. Remove space = Removes space in imported value when tickedVIII. Shortcut dimension No. = When you choose a shortcut dimension 3 or higher you are required to fill this field with the shortcut dimension code number.
6. See below for a visual example:
7. In order to ensure a proper import process, please see the example below on how to fill in your Excel-sheet:
Save the Excel sheet as a CSV-file (CSV UTF-8)
8. To test the dimension values, make sure the dimension values in the excel sheet are added in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central. First you must add dimension “TEST”:
🖱 Click the image to enlarge 🖱
9. After you have added the Dimension, you need to add Dimension Values “Test1” for the first, “Test 2” for the second and “Test3” for the fifth dimension. In order to do this you must navigate to: Dimensions → DImension Values and add the following values:
The first dimension:
The second dimension:
The fifth dimension:
10. In the General Ledger Setup you must now add the “TEST Dimension to Shortcut Dimension 5”
11. Navigate to the menu and select G/L Import → Import
12. A screen will pop up, fill in the open fields as follows:
I. File Name = Choose your Excel Sheet for Import.II. Import Code = Choose your import code that has been created during Step 3III. Journal Template Name = Pick your general JournalIV. Journal Batch Name = Choose your general journal Batch
Got a great app idea you want us to develop for Business Central? Click the button (form pops up), tell us what you want and we’ll get in touch!
Want to resell one (or more) of the suggested apps. Click the button, fill out the (pop-up) form and we will get in touch with you.
Kastanjelaan 400 (Microlab) 5616 LZ Eindhoven email@example.com 040 – 303 23 29
Kastanjelaan 400, 5616 LZ Microlab Eindhoven firstname.lastname@example.org 040 – 303 23 29
Want to resell one (or more) of the suggested apps. Fill out the pop-up form and we will get in touch with you.
If Something Wasn’t Clear?
Feel free to contact us, and we’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions.